
Hualien's Hidden Gem: Parisian Chic B&B in Taiwan!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the Parisian Chic B&B in Hualien, Taiwan! Forget those sterile hotel reviews that sound like they were written by robots. This is my experience, warts and all, and trust me, it's a wild ride.
First Impressions (and My Inner Drama Queen)
Okay, so I'm not gonna lie. I was skeptical. "Parisian Chic" in Hualien? That's like finding a gourmet cheese shop in a… well, you get the picture. But the photos… oh, the photos! And the promises! So, with a healthy dose of "prove me wrong," I booked.
The first thing that hit me? The smell. And I mean that in the BEST way possible. It smelled like… well, like Paris. Okay, maybe not exactly, but it had this subtle, sophisticated fragrance that whispered "luxury" and "escape." And honestly? After the sweaty, crowded train ride from Taipei, I needed an escape.
Accessibility & Getting Settled In (A Quick Word on the Practical Stuff)
- Accessibility: While the B&B does have facilities for disabled guests (elevator, etc.), it's not fully wheelchair accessible in every nook and cranny. So, if you have specific mobility needs, double-check with them beforehand. They seem genuinely helpful, though.
- Getting There: Airport transfer is available. Thank heavens. The thought of navigating Hualien's public transport after that train… shudder. They have car parking on site too, which is a BIG plus. And for the eco-conscious, there's even a car power charging station! Nice touch.
- Check-in: Smooth as silk. Contactless check-in/out? Yes, please! The front desk is 24-hour and they were super friendly. Private check-in option is available too, which is a nice touch for those who prefer a more discreet experience.
- Internet/Wi-Fi: Okay, this is a big one for me. I'm a digital nomad, a Wi-Fi addict, basically. And the Parisian Chic delivers. Free Wi-Fi in ALL rooms? Check! And the speed? Actually usable! They also have LAN internet if you prefer. Wi-Fi in public areas? Yep. Even for special events if you happen to be planning one.
- Available in All Rooms: Air conditioning (a must!), alarm clock, bathrobes, all the usual suspects. They even have an umbrella, which, living in Taiwan, is a lifesaver.
My Room: A Tiny Slice of Parisian Heaven?
I'm talking about the room. First, it was clean. Spotless. And with the current climate, that's a huge relief. They're serious about hygiene (more on that later). They have a full list of available amenities in each room: Air conditioning, alarm clock, bathrobes, bathroom phone, bathtub, blackout curtains, carpeting, closet, coffee/tea maker, complimentary tea, daily housekeeping, desk, extra long bed, free bottled water, hair dryer, high floor, in-room safe box, interconnecting room(s) available, internet access – LAN, internet access – wireless, ironing facilities, laptop workspace, linens, mini bar, mirror, non-smoking, on-demand movies, private bathroom, reading light, refrigerator, safety/security feature, satellite/cable channels, scale, seating area, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, socket near the bed, sofa, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, umbrella, visual alarm, wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], window that opens.
- The Good: The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Seriously. The room was beautifully decorated, with a surprisingly comfortable seating area. The little touches – the complimentary tea, the fluffy bathrobes – made all the difference. And the view! Even though I was only on a middle floor, it was still beautiful. The lighting was perfect. The in-room safe box was a welcome addition.
- The Not-So-Good: The room was a tad small. This isn't a sprawling chateau, folks. It's a cozy B&B. The soundproofing was good, but not perfect. I could occasionally hear… well, let's just say I knew when my neighbors were really enjoying their vacation.
Let's Talk Cleanliness & Safety (Because, Well, You Know)
This is where Parisian Chic really shines. In the current crazy world, I'm paranoid about germs. They get it. They really get it.
- Anti-viral cleaning products? Check.
- Rooms sanitized between stays? Absolutely.
- Daily disinfection in common areas? You betcha.
- Staff trained in safety protocol? Yep.
- Hand sanitizer everywhere? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!
- Individually-wrapped food options? Yes, and it’s a lifesaver.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter? They try their best.
- Room sanitization opt-out available? If you're that confident.
- Safe dining setup? Yes.
- Sterilizing equipment? Yep.
- They even have a doctor/nurse on call! Just in case.
- Hygiene certification? Yep.
I felt safe. Like, genuinely safe. They take this seriously.
Food, Glorious Food! (And My Opinionated Rants)
Okay, so the food. This is where things get… interesting.
- Breakfast: The breakfast buffet was a mixed bag. They had an Asian breakfast, a Western breakfast, and a buffet. The coffee was decent, the pastries were… passable. The fruit was fresh. However, the buffet was a bit… repetitive. And the coffee shop was a lifesaver in the mornings.
- Restaurants: They have restaurants on-site. I tried the Asian cuisine. It was… okay. Not mind-blowing. The prices were reasonable. They also have a snack bar and poolside bar (a definite plus!), and room service 24-hours.
- My Rant: They have a vegetarian restaurant! I didn't try it, but that's a huge win in my book. I wish they had more vegetarian options in the main restaurant. And the desserts… they could be better. But hey, you can't win them all. They also have an alternative meal arrangement, which is great for picky eaters.
- Dining, drinking, and snacking: A la carte in restaurant, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax (Or, Where I Found My Inner Zen… Eventually)
This is where Parisian Chic really surprised me. I wasn't expecting much beyond a nice room, but they had a ton of amenities.
- The Pool: The outdoor swimming pool with view was the highlight. The pool was stunning, and the view… oh, the view! They also have a pool with a view.
- The Spa: I'm a spa junkie. And the spa didn't disappoint. They have a spa/sauna, steamroom, and massage. I spent an entire afternoon being pampered. The body scrub and body wrap were divine.
- Fitness Center: They have a fitness center, which I didn't use (I was too busy eating pastries, apparently). But it looked well-equipped.
- Other Relaxing Options: Foot bath, gym/fitness, sauna, spa.
- Things to Do:
- For the Kids: Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal,
- Services and conveniences: Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center.
The Quirks, The Imperfections, The Honest Truth
Okay, so it wasn't perfect. But that's what made it real. Here's the messy truth:
- It's Not Actually Parisian: Let's be honest. It's a Taiwanese B&B trying to channel Parisian vibes. Some of the decor felt a little… forced. But they pull it off, somehow.
- The Staff: The staff were friendly

Okay, buckle up, buttercup. This isn't your perfectly curated travel blog post. This is me, raw and unfiltered, trying to wrangle a trip to Hualien, Taiwan, staying at that Paris B&B (fingers crossed it's not actually in Paris, because I forgot my beret).
Hualien, Taiwan: A Messy Itinerary (AKA My Attempt at Not Screwing This Up)
Day 1: Arrival & Mild Panic
- 6:00 AM (Local Time): Wake up. Or, more accurately, peel myself off the airplane seat after a red-eye flight that felt like I’d been crammed into a sardine can with a bunch of screaming toddlers. My back is already screaming louder. Coffee is a necessity.
- 7:00 AM: Arrive at Taipei Airport (TPE). Holy moly, it's HUGE. I’m pretty sure I walked a marathon just trying to find the train to Hualien. Note to self: pack better shoes.
- 8:00 AM: Train to Hualien. Find my seat, collapse. The scenery starts… well, it starts. It's green. Very green. My brain still hasn’t caught up to the time change.
- 11:00 AM: Arrive Hualien. The air… it’s different. Humid, but clean. My nose is adjusting.
- 11:30 AM: Taxi to Paris B&B. (Praying it’s not a total dump). The driver is a charming older gentleman who keeps trying to teach me Mandarin. I manage a passable "Xie Xie," which earns me a hearty laugh.
- 12:00 PM: Check into the Paris B&B. Okay, it’s… charming. A little kitschy, maybe? Think floral wallpaper and doilies. But clean! And the owner, a sweet lady named Mei, greets me with a HUGE smile and a welcome drink. Score!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch! I wander out, starving, and stumble upon a local noodle shop. I point at a picture and hope for the best. Turns out to be beef noodle soup. Delicious. My first authentic Taiwanese meal, and a triumph.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Nap time! The jet lag is hitting hard. I feel like I’ve been awake for three days straight. I wake up in a daze.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Explore the city. Stroll around, take some pictures. I get lost almost immediately. This is a recurring theme, I suspect. I find a cute little park and sit on a bench, watching the locals. They seem to be enjoying themselves. I feel slightly out of place, but also strangely at peace.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a night market. This is sensory overload in the best possible way! So many smells, so many people, so much food! I try a few things – stinky tofu (surprisingly good!), some kind of fried pancake thing (amazing), and a giant prawn. The prawn fought back, but I won. Mostly.
- 9:00 PM: Back to the B&B. Exhausted but happy. Journaling, which I promptly abandon after three sentences because I'm too tired.
Day 2: Taroko Gorge (and My Existential Crisis)
- 7:00 AM: Wake up. Coffee. Need. Now.
- 8:00 AM: Taxi to Taroko Gorge. This is the big one. The reason I came.
- 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Taroko Gorge. Holy. Freaking. Moly. The sheer scale of it is breathtaking. The marble cliffs, the turquoise river, the tunnels carved into the rock… it’s like something out of a movie. I’m walking the Shakadang Trail and it is GORGEOUS. But I'm also slightly terrified of falling into the gorge. I’m pretty sure my life insurance policy isn’t up-to-date. I take a million pictures. I probably look like an idiot tourist. But who cares?
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at a small restaurant near the gorge. Simple Taiwanese food. I'm starting to get addicted.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: More Taroko! I hike a little more, try to absorb the immensity of it all. I have a minor existential crisis, wondering what my life is about and whether I'm making the most of it. The gorge is inspiring, but also humbling. I am, after all, just a small speck of a person, standing in front of a giant rock.
- 4:00 PM: Back to Hualien. My legs are screaming.
- 5:00 PM: Relax at the B&B. Shower. Collapse.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a local restaurant recommended by Mei. It's delicious, but I’m so tired, I can barely taste it.
- 8:00 PM: Early bedtime. The gorge has taken its toll.
Day 3: The Ocean, Dolphins, and My Failed Attempt at Zen
- 8:00 AM: Wake up feeling refreshed. Coffee and a quick breakfast at the B&B.
- 9:00 AM: Go for a walk down to the ocean. The Pacific Ocean. It's HUGE. The waves crash against the shore. I try to meditate, but my mind is a whirlwind of thoughts: "Did I pack enough sunscreen? Are those clouds ominous? Did I lock the B&B room?" I fail miserably at Zen.
- 10:00 AM: Dolphin watching tour! I'm so excited! We board a boat, and the sea is choppy. I get slightly seasick. But then… dolphins! They leap and frolic around the boat. It's magical. Pure, unadulterated joy.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at a seafood restaurant. Fresh fish, delicious. I eat until I'm stuffed.
- 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Explore the coastal area. Visit a lighthouse, take more pictures. The scenery is stunning. I feel a sense of peace, finally.
- 5:00 PM: Back to the B&B. Pack my bags. My trip is almost over.
- 6:00 PM: Farewell dinner at a restaurant. I have a deep fried fish, and it is amazing.
- 7:00 PM: Say goodbye to Mei. She gives me a little present: a small bag of Taiwanese tea. I feel a pang of sadness leaving.
- 8:00 PM: Taxi to the train station.
- 9:00 PM: Train back to Taipei.
Day 4: Departure & Afterthoughts
- Early Morning: Arrive at Taipei airport.
- Board the plane. Back home.
Final Thoughts:
Hualien was… incredible. Messy, exhausting, and at times, utterly overwhelming. But also beautiful, inspiring, and filled with moments of pure joy. I got lost, I ate too much, I failed at meditation, and I almost fell into a gorge. But I also saw dolphins, felt the immensity of nature, and met some wonderful people. Would I go back? Absolutely. Next time, I'll remember the mosquito repellent. And maybe learn a little more Mandarin. And definitely pack better shoes.
This trip wasn't perfect. It was real. And that's what made it special. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need a nap. And maybe a massage. And a lifetime supply of coffee.
Versailles Chateau Apartment: Free Parking, 5-Minute Walk!
Hualien's Parisian Chic B&B: FAQs... with a Sprinkle of Chaos!
Okay, so "Parisian Chic" in Hualien, Taiwan? Is this some kind of elaborate prank?
Prank? Maybe a *delicious* one! Look, I went in expecting, you know, a slightly-off attempt at French flair. Like, maybe a baguette in the breakfast buffet that's seen better days. What I *didn't* expect was to actually feel transported. Okay, not *exactly* Paris, but definitely channeling the *je ne sais quoi*. Think: flowy curtains, vintage furniture that's probably worth more than my car, and a courtyard that whispers "aperitif hour" even at 9 AM. They nailed the vibe, honestly. It's… surprisingly good. And yes, the baguette *was* pretty decent. (Don't judge my carb intake, okay?)
What's the breakfast situation like? Because, let's be honest, breakfast is crucial.
Breakfast… ah, breakfast. This is where things get gloriously, wonderfully, slightly *unhinged*. They *try* to be French, bless their hearts. You get croissants (decent, but not Parisian-bakery-level), some fruit (mostly amazing Taiwanese mangoes, which is a massive win), and, sometimes, a *very* ambitious attempt at crepes. One day, the crepe batter was a little… lumpy. I swear, the chef (who I suspect is also the owner, and possibly their own dog) looked at me with such mortification. I almost felt bad for enjoying it. Almost. But then I remembered the mango, and all was forgiven. Also, the coffee? Surprisingly strong. Which is essential when you're trying to navigate the Taiwanese driving (more on that later...).
Is it actually *clean*? Because "chic" and "clean" don't always go hand-in-hand, you know?
Okay, this is important. Yes. It's clean. Scrupulously so, actually. Like, you could probably eat off the floor (though I wouldn't recommend it, because, you know, germs). The linens smelled amazing. The bathroom was spotless. And the whole place just radiated a sense of… order. Which is pretty impressive considering the inherent chaos of trying to run a B&B that's also pretending to be a Parisian apartment in the middle of Taiwan. Seriously, the cleaning staff deserves a medal. Maybe two.
What's the location like? Is it convenient for exploring Hualien?
Location… a mixed bag, honestly. It's not *right* in the thick of things, which is kind of a bonus if you want peace and quiet. But you'll need some kind of transport. They offered bike rentals, which I thought was a great idea until I nearly got taken out by a scooter on the first corner. (Taiwanese drivers are… enthusiastic. Let's just say that.) Scooter rentals are everywhere, and that's your best bet for getting around. Just, you know, don't be me. Take it slow. Seriously. And maybe wear a helmet. I did eventually get the hang of it, but the first few days were a blur of near-death experiences and frantic hand signals. Worth it for the views, though!
Is the staff friendly? Because a grumpy host can ruin a whole trip.
Friendly? They were *delightful*. The owner (I think it was the owner, the one who looked mortified about the crepes) spoke amazing English and genuinely seemed to care about making sure everyone had a good time. The rest of the staff were lovely too, always smiling and helpful. They even helped me figure out how to order a *decent* coffee at the local cafe (turns out, "Americano" is your friend). One of them even gave me some recommendations for hidden waterfalls, which were absolutely breathtaking. Seriously, the staff is a huge part of what makes this place special. They really go above and beyond. It felt more like staying at a friend's house than a hotel. (A friend with impeccable taste in furniture, obviously.)
Okay, so what's the one thing that *really* stood out? The thing that made you go "WOW"?
Okay, brace yourselves. This is the *thing*. The thing that made the slightly-lumpy crepes and the near-death scooter experiences totally worth it. The *courtyard*. I'm telling you. It's a haven. A little slice of Parisian heaven, tucked away in the heart of Hualien. Picture this: late afternoon, the sun dappling through the leaves of the trees, a gentle breeze, and you, sipping a glass of wine (they have a surprisingly decent selection, by the way) in a vintage wrought-iron chair. The air is filled with the scent of jasmine and something else… something indescribably perfect. I spent *hours* out there. Just… existing. Reading a book, daydreaming, people-watching (mostly the other guests, trying to figure out if they were as enchanted as I was). It was pure, unadulterated bliss. I almost missed my flight home because I was so reluctant to leave that courtyard. Seriously, that courtyard alone is worth the price of admission. Go. Just go. And tell me what you think. But don't take my chair.
Would you go back?
In a heartbeat. Even with the slightly-wonky crepes and the terrifying scooter ride. It wasn't perfect, but that's what made it so… perfect. It felt real. It felt authentic. And that courtyard… oh, that courtyard. Yes. Absolutely yes. I'm already planning my return. And this time, I'm bringing my own helmet. And maybe a stash of good coffee. And definitely my own wine. (Just in case.)

