
Escape to Paradise: Ilha Grande's Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada Awaits!
Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada: Ilha Grande – My Love-Hate Affair with Paradise (and Why You Should Book It Anyway!)
Alright, buckle up, because this isn't your typical hotel review. This is the raw, unfiltered truth about my recent escape to Ilha Grande and, specifically, Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada. Expect some rambling, some gushing, some eye-rolling, and hopefully, enough information to convince you this place is worth the trip. Prepare yourself because I'm about to spill the beans.
First Impressions (and a Slight Panic Attack):
Getting to Ilha Grande is an adventure in itself. Forget sleek, easy access. You're talking boats, ferries, and potentially a bumpy bus ride. Accessibility, as a concept, is…well, let's just say it's not the island's strong suit. If you're relying heavily on wheelchair accessibility, this might not be the place for you. The Pousada itself has some steps, and navigating the island's trails is definitely a challenge. But hey, that’s part of the charm, right? (Insert nervous laughter here).
The Room: My Tiny, Beautiful Prison (in a Good Way!)
Let's talk about the rooms. Mine was… cozy. Actually, let's be honest, it was small. But it was also clean, with air conditioning that worked like a dream (essential in the Brazilian heat!), and a balcony overlooking… well, not the pool with a view (more on that later), but a slice of lush greenery. The blackout curtains were a godsend for sleeping in after those late-night caipirinhas. I love a good bathtub, but this one was tiny. I’m 6ft and it was more like a glorified foot bath. Sigh. But hey, bathrobes and slippers! Luxury. And the free Wi-Fi? Thank God for free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Internet access – wireless was a lifesaver for uploading those Instagram stories, even if the signal occasionally felt like it was coming from the Stone Age.
Food, Glorious Food (and the Occasional Regret):
Okay, the food. This is where things get…interesting. Breakfast [buffet] was included, and it was decent. Western breakfast staples like eggs, bacon, and fruit, but also some Asian breakfast options, though I didn't see anything explicitly Asian cuisine in restaurant. Coffee/tea in restaurant was plentiful, which is essential. The restaurant, while not huge, offers A la carte in restaurant options, including salad in restaurant, soup in restaurant, and even some desserts in restaurant. There's a bar and poolside bar, perfect for happy hour, but be warned: the bottle of water prices can add up. I devoured a delicious international cuisine in restaurant meal one night, but the next day I tried a vegetarian restaurant option and it was… well, let’s just say my stomach wasn’t thrilled. Room service [24-hour] is available, which is a lifesaver after a long day of exploring.
The Pool: My Therapist (and My Playground):
The swimming pool [outdoor] is where the magic happens. It's not huge, but it's stunning. And yes, it is a pool with a view. Picture this: turquoise water, a panoramic view of the bay, and you, sipping a caipirinha. Pure bliss. I spent hours there, alternating between swimming, sunbathing, and just staring out at the ocean. It's the perfect antidote to the hustle and bustle of daily life. The sauna and spa (and spa/sauna) were tempting, but I never actually made it. I was too busy…well, you know… swimming.
Things to Do (and How I Mostly Relaxed):
Ilha Grande is all about adventure. There are things to do galore: hiking, snorkeling, diving, boat trips. But honestly? I mostly just wanted to relax. I did manage a few hikes, which were beautiful but brutally steep. I considered a massage, a body scrub, and a body wrap in the spa, but I found myself too busy, well, relaxing. I saw the fitness center but I’m pretty sure it was just for show. I mean, who wants to work out when you're in paradise? Foot bath? Sounds nice!
Cleanliness and Safety: Did I Survive the Apocalypse?
In the age of…well, everything…cleanliness and safety are paramount. The Pousada took this seriously. They use Anti-viral cleaning products, there’s hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff were trained in safety protocol. Daily disinfection in common areas was a given. They even offered room sanitization opt-out available. I felt safe and comfortable, even with the lingering pandemic paranoia. The staff trained in safety protocol and the professional-grade sanitizing services were noticeable.
The Nitty Gritty (and the Slightly Annoying Bits):
- Services and Conveniences: Daily housekeeping was a plus, but sometimes a little…too daily. I'd come back to my room and find it tidied, even when I hadn't asked. Cash withdrawal isn't readily available on the island, so bring plenty of cash. There's a convenience store, but it’s pricey. Laundry service is available.
- Getting Around: Airport transfer is available, but it's a long journey. Car park [free of charge] is a bonus. Taxi service is available, but not always reliable. The island is best explored on foot or by boat.
- Business Stuff (because, why not?): They have meeting/banquet facilities and Wi-Fi for special events, but let's be honest, you're not there for a business trip.
- For the Kids: Babysitting service is available, and the Pousada is family/child friendly.
- Security: Front desk [24-hour] and security [24-hour] were reassuring, though the island itself feels pretty safe. CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property made me feel even more secure.
My Love-Hate Affair: The Verdict
So, would I recommend Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada? Absolutely. Yes, it has its imperfections. The Internet access – LAN was a mystery, and the elevator was a no-show. The food wasn't always perfect. But the location is stunning, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the overall vibe is incredibly relaxing. It's the kind of place where you can truly disconnect and recharge.
The Imperfect Perfect Offer: Book Your Escape (Before I Snag Your Room!)
Here's the deal: I'm practically begging you to book a stay at Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada. It's not just a hotel; it's an experience. It's a chance to escape the mundane, to breathe in the salty air, and to rediscover the simple joys of life.
And because I love you (and want you to experience this paradise before I go back!), here's a special offer:
- Book your stay for a minimum of 3 nights and get a complimentary welcome drink at the bar! You'll need it after your journey.
- Mention this review and receive a 10% discount on any spa treatment! Because you deserve to be pampered.
- For a limited time, we're also offering a free guided hike to a hidden waterfall! (Don't tell them I told you!).
But hurry! This offer won't last forever. And who knows, maybe I'll be back before you, hogging the pool with a view again. So, book your escape to Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada now! You won't regret it. (Even if you do find a few imperfections. Embrace them! It's part of the charm!)
Escape to Paradise: Atour Hotel Dali Erhai Park Awaits!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. We're going to Ilha Grande, Brazil, specifically to Pousada Horizonte dos Borbas, and we're doing it my way. That means chaos, questionable decisions, and a whole lotta heart.
Ilha Grande: My Brain's Guide to Paradise (and Possible Disaster)
Day 1: Arrival & Utter Bewilderment (and maybe a caipirinha or two)
- Morning (Approx. 8:00 AM): The journey begins! Well, technically, it began at the airport. Now, it's the ferry from Angra dos Reis. Let's hope I don't get seasick. (Spoiler alert: I probably will. I always do.)
- Mid-Morning (Around 10:00 AM): Arrive in Vila do Abraão. Oh. My. God. This place is gorgeous. Like, postcard-worthy gorgeous. But also… where do I even go? The pousada is supposed to be a bit of a walk. Time to unleash my inner explorer (and questionably packed backpack).
- Late Morning/Early Afternoon (11:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Finding Pousada Horizonte dos Borbas. Okay, so the "bit of a walk" turned into a minor hike, uphill, in the blazing sun. My flip-flops are already regretting this. But finally! The pousada. Check-in: smooth-ish. I swear the lady at the front desk is judging my lack of Portuguese. Whatever. The view from my room? Worth every sweaty step. Seriously, jaw-dropping.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Lunch! Found a little pastelaria nearby. Ordered something I thought was a savory pastry. Turns out, it was filled with… well, I'm not sure, but it was delicious and probably involved a lot of cheese. Wash it down with a guaraná and feel slightly less like a lost tourist.
- Late Afternoon/Evening (3:00 PM - Whenever): The quest for the perfect caipirinha begins. This is serious business. Found a bar with a view. First attempt: too sweet. Second attempt: too strong. Third attempt: nailed it. Watching the sunset over the bay, caipirinha in hand. Pure bliss. This is what I came for.
- Evening (8:00 PM): Dinner at a local restaurant. I bravely attempt some basic Portuguese (mostly pointing and smiling). Managed to order fish, which I think is what I wanted. It arrives, and it's HUGE. And amazing. I feel like I've earned this meal. I feel like I'm a local, a real local.
Day 2: Beach Bummin' & Hiking Hell (and maybe a little redemption)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Attempt to rise early for a sunrise. Fail. Miserably. Roll out of bed at a more reasonable hour. Coffee on the balcony, soaking up that view again. Still not sick of it.
- Mid-Morning (10:00 AM): Praia do Canto! Apparently, one of the best beaches nearby. Pack the essentials: sunscreen, a book I'll probably only read half of, and a healthy dose of optimism. The water is a perfect turquoise. The sand is soft. This is what dreams are made of. Spend a solid three hours doing absolutely nothing but enjoying the sun, sea, and sand. (And occasionally dodging rogue beach vendors.)
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch at a beachside shack. Grilled fish, fresh salad, and another guaraná. Life is good.
- Late Afternoon (3:00 PM): The "hike" to Lopes Mendes beach. Everyone raves about it. So, naturally, I decide to conquer it. It's supposed to be "easy." Famous last words. This is not easy. It's hot. It's humid. My legs are screaming. I question my life choices. (Seriously, why didn't I bring more water?)
- Evening (6:00 PM): Lopes Mendes. Holy. Mother. Of. Beaches. It’s… pristine. The sand is like powdered sugar. The waves are gentle. The hike was worth it. All the pain, all the sweat, it was worth it. Spend an hour just staring at the ocean. Then, the long trek back to Vila do Abraão. Time to start planning for tomorrow.
- Evening (8:00 PM): Back at the pousada. Dinner. Sleep. Repeat.
Day 3: The Dive… Or The Attempt Thereof (And a Whole Lot of Regret)
- Morning (9:00 AM): I am going to scuba dive. This is the plan. I signed up for a beginner's course. What could go wrong? (Famous last words, part two.)
- Mid-Morning (11:00 AM): Theory lesson. Okay, so there's a lot to learn. Pressure, buoyancy, the bends… I’m starting to get a little worried. But the instructor is patient, and I’m determined. I'm going to conquer this!
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Gear up! Wetsuit, mask, fins… I feel like a slightly clumsy, slightly panicked, slightly over-weight seal. The boat ride to the dive site is beautiful, but I'm starting to feel the pre-dive jitters.
- Late Afternoon (2:00 PM): The dive. Or, the attempt at the dive. Descend into the water. It's… cold. My mask fogs up. I panic. I can’t equalize. My ears hurt. I’m swallowing seawater. I spend the entire dive just trying not to die. The instructor is incredibly patient. I’m mortified.
- Late Afternoon (3:00 PM): Back on the boat, dripping wet, and feeling like a complete failure. Sun, sand, and sea don't seem so great.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner at a restaurant with a view. I order something simple. Comfort food. I need comfort. Maybe a second caipirinha will help me forget the fact that I am apparently not cut out to be a scuba diver.
Day 4: Island Exploration & Farewell Feels (with a side of gelato)
- Morning (9:00 AM): Okay, so scuba diving is off the table. Time for a more relaxing activity: a boat trip around the island! We're hitting some more beautiful beaches, snorkeling, and hopefully spotting some sea turtles.
- Mid-Morning (11:00 AM): Praia de Aventureiro. This is the beach everyone talks about. It's only accessible by boat. It’s gorgeous. The water is crystal clear. I finally manage to relax.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch on the boat. Freshly grilled fish.
- Late Afternoon (3:00 PM): Back to Vila do Abraão. Time to buy some souvenirs and get some gelato.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Pack. Say goodbye to the view. The pousada. The island. Ugh. I'm already sad to leave. One last caipirinha.
- Evening (8:00 PM): Dinner. Reflect on the journey. Laugh at my mistakes. Treasure the memories.
Day 5: Departure (And a Vow to Return)
- Morning (9:00 AM): Ferry back to the mainland. Goodbye, Ilha Grande. You were beautiful, chaotic, and utterly unforgettable.
- The Aftermath: I'm bruised, sun-kissed, and slightly traumatized by my scuba diving experience. But I'm also refreshed, inspired, and already dreaming of my return. This island… it's got a hold on you. And I'm absolutely okay with that.
Important Disclaimers:
- This itinerary is a suggestion. Feel free to deviate wildly. Embrace the chaos. Get lost. Make mistakes. That's half the fun.
- My Portuguese is terrible. Don't expect me to translate anything.
- I am not a doctor. Consult one before attempting any strenuous activities (like hiking).
- Caipirinhas are delicious, but drink responsibly (or, you know, don't).
- Most importantly: HAVE FUN!
This is my Ilha Grande. What will yours be?
Bangkok Chinatown Gem: MRT-Close Comfy Room (9934)
Escape to Paradise: Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada – Let's Get Real!
Okay, spill the beans! Is Ilha Grande *really* paradise, or is it just Instagram hype?
Alright, alright, let's be honest. Ilha Grande? Yeah, it's pretty damn close to paradise. But paradise has its quirks, you know? Think of it like a really hot date – gorgeous, breathtaking views, incredible beaches... but sometimes the Wi-Fi is weaker than my willpower when a chocolate cake is involved. And let's not even *start* on the mosquitos. They're basically tiny, buzzing vampires.
But seriously, the water? Crystal clear. The jungle? Lush and alive. The sunsets? Forget about it. I spent one evening just staring, slack-jawed, as the sun melted into the ocean. It was so beautiful, I almost cried. Almost. Don't tell anyone.
What's the deal with Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada? Is it as dreamy as the photos?
Okay, so the photos... they're good. Really good. They definitely capture the vibe. But here’s the thing: reality is always a little messier, right?
I'll be real. The room I stayed in wasn't exactly the sprawling villa I'd fantasized about. It was cozy. And by cozy, I mean… intimate. Okay, fine. Small. But clean! And the view from the balcony? Oh, *that* was dreamy. Seriously. Waking up to the sound of the waves and the chirping of birds? Priceless. Even the little gecko that visited my bathroom every night couldn't ruin it. (Okay, maybe he *slightly* ruined it. He was a bit too friendly.)
The staff? Super friendly, always helpful, but sometimes a little... *laid back*. Which, honestly, fits the island vibe perfectly. Don't expect lightning-fast service, just relax and soak it in. You're on island time, baby!
How do I *get* to Ilha Grande and the Pousada? Is it a nightmare?
Okay, the journey. This is where things get a little... *interesting*. You're looking at a combination of bus, ferry, and sometimes a taxi or boat ride. It's not exactly a hop, skip, and a jump.
My first attempt? Let's just say I got on the wrong bus. Ended up in a town that looked suspiciously like it was straight out of a Sergio Leone movie. (No offense to Sergio Leone, but I wasn't prepared for a spaghetti western). Eventually, after much frantic Google Translate and questionable hand gestures, I made it.
My advice? Do your research. Book the ferry in advance, especially during peak season. And pack light! You'll be lugging your stuff around a bit. And for the love of all that is holy, bring mosquito repellent! It’s not just a suggestion, it's a survival skill.
What's there to *do* on Ilha Grande? Besides, you know, staring at the ocean?
Oh, there's plenty to do! But let’s be clear: it’s not a place for non-stop, manufactured “fun.” It's about embracing the slower pace.
Hiking is a must. Trails wind through the jungle, leading to secret beaches. Just be prepared for humidity and some steep climbs. I nearly died on one. Okay, dramatic. But I was definitely gasping for air. The views from the top, though? Worth every agonizing step.
Boat trips are fantastic. You can snorkel, swim, and explore hidden coves. I did one that visited multiple beaches. One of them had the whitest sand I've ever seen. It felt like walking on powdered sugar. Pure magic. Then, of course, there's just relaxing, reading a book, and letting the waves wash away your worries. Bliss.
Food! Tell me about the food! Will I survive?
Food! Okay, this is crucial. You *will* survive. You’ll probably thrive. The food on Ilha Grande is delicious. Think fresh seafood, grilled to perfection, and caipirinhas that sneak up on you.
I had the most amazing grilled fish one night. It was so good, I almost licked the plate clean. Okay, I might have. Don't judge me! There are plenty of restaurants in Abraão, the main town. Some are simple, some are fancy. Expect to pay a bit more than you might on the mainland, because, you know, island life. But it's worth it. Every single bite.
Pro-tip: Learn a few basic Portuguese phrases. It'll go a long way. And don't be afraid to try the local dishes. You might discover your new favorite thing. Mine? The grilled octopus. Seriously, go try it.
Anything I should be prepared for that no one tells you about? (The *real* secrets!)
Okay, the *real* secrets. Here we go...
1. **The Wi-Fi:** It’s spotty. Embrace the digital detox. You'll probably be forced to, anyway. Consider it a blessing in disguise.
2. **The Sandflies:** They're tiny, sneaky, and their bites itch like the devil. Seriously, bring the strongest bug spray you can find. And maybe a hazmat suit, just in case.
3. **The Power Outages:** They happen. Embrace the candles and the romantic ambiance. Or, you know, curse under your breath. Your choice.
4. **The Embrace of Island Time:** Things move slowly. Don't expect things to happen quickly. Just relax, take a deep breath, and go with the flow. The world will keep spinning.
5. **The Emotional Impact:** I wasn’t expecting it, but Ilha Grande actually got to me. The beauty, the simplicity, the sheer *escape* of it all. I left feeling refreshed, inspired, and a little bit heartbroken to leave. It’s a magical place, and it might just change you a little bit. Don't be surprised if you start planning your return trip before you even leave.
Would you go back to Horizonte dos Borbas Pousada? (Be honest!)
Absolutely. Without a doubt. Yes. Even with the tiny room, the occasional gecko visits, and the spotty Wi-Fi, I'd go back in a heartbeat. The view alone is worth it. And the overall vibe? Just pure, unadulterated relaxation.
It's not a luxury resort. It's not perfect. But it's real. And that's whatStay Finder Review

